FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS
46th Annual Meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europaea
18 - 21 September 2013
Split University, Croatia
Italian and English Departments and
the Center for Interdisciplinary Research Studia Mediterranea
The Societas Linguistica Europaea and the Italian and English Departments of the University of Split, Croatia, invite you to submit abstracts for workshop, poster or general session papers for the next annual meeting
|15 November 2012:||submission of workshop proposals (description + short abstracts)|
|15 December 2012:||notification of acceptance/rejection|
|15 January 2013:||submission of all abstracts|
|31 March 2013:||notification of acceptance|
- Piotr Cap (University of Lodz)
- Elisabeth Leiss (University of Munich)
- Amina Mettouchi (EPHE, Paris and CNRS Llacan)
- Ian Roberts (Cambridge University)
Local organizing Committee
- Chair: Danica Škara (Split)
- Secretary: Jelena Mrkonjić
- Members: Milena Žic Fuchs (Zagreb), Marina Marasović Alujević (Split), Joško Božanić (Split), Srećko Jurišić (Split), Mateusz-Milan Stanojević (Zagreb), Renata Geld (Zagreb)
SLE Conference Management
- Treasurer: Dik Bakker (Amsterdam)
- Conference manager: Bert Cornillie (Leuven)
- Chair: Edith Moravcsik (Wisconsin, Milwaukee)
- Members: Werner Abraham (Wien – München), Alexander Adelaar (Melbourne), Karin Aijmer (Gothenburg), Laura Alba-Juez (Madrid, UNED), Peter Arkadiev (Moscow), Jóhanna Barddal (Bergen), Valeria A. Belloro (Querétaro, México), Paola Beninca' (Padua), Marcella Bertuccelli (Pisa), Kasper Boye (Copenhagen), Anne Carlier (Lille), Michela Cennamo (Naples), Guglielmo Cinque (Venice), Concepción Company Company (UNAM – Mexico), Cleo Condoravdi (Stanford), Francisco J. Cortés Rodríguez (La Laguna), Denis Creissels (Lyon), María Josep Cuenca (Valencia), Hubert Cuyckens (Leuven), Stuart Davis (Indiana), Philippe De Brabanter (Paris), Walter De Mulder (Antwerp), Nicole Delbecque (Leuven), Pierpaolo Di Carlo (SUNY - New York), Dagmar Divjak (Sheffield), Patricia Donegan (Honolulu), Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kolaczyk (Poznan), Andrés Enrique-Arias (Illes Balears), Victoria Escandell-Vidal (UNED-Madrid), Malgorzata Fabiszak (Poznan), Teresa Fanego (Santiago de Compostela), Zygmunt Frajzyngier (Boulder), Antonio García Gómez (Alcalá), María del Pilar García Mayo (Madrid), Francesco Gardani (Graz), Spike Gildea (Oregon), Alessandra Giorgi (Venice), María de los Ángeles Gómez González (Santiago de Compostela), Francisco Gonzálvez (Almería), Stefan Th Gries (UCSB), Kleanthes K. Grohmann (Cyprus), Youssef Haddad (Florida), Liliane Haegeman (Ghent), Eva Hajicova (Prague), Bjoern Hansen (Regensburg), Maj-Britt Mosegaard Hansen (Manchester), Martin Hilpert (Manchester), Hans Henrich Hock (Illinois, Urbana-Champaign), Elly Ifantidou (Athens), Johannes Kabatek (Tübingen), Gunther Kaltenboeck (Viena), Petar Kehayov (Tartu), Mikhail Kissine (Bruxelles), Seppo Kittila (Helsinki), Björn Köhnlein (Leiden), Laszlo Komlosi (Pecs), Bernd Kortmann (Freiburg), Livia Kortvelyessy (Kosice), Gitte Kristiaensen (Madrid, Complutense), Karen Lahousse (Leuven), Béatrice Lamiroy (Leuven), Meri Larjavaara (Turku/Åbo), Pierre Larrivée (Caen Basse-Normandie), David Lasagabaster (Vitoria), Maria Luisa Lecumberri (Vitoria-Gasteiz), Elisabeth Leiss (München), María Rosa Lloret (Barcelona), María José López Couso (Santiago de Compostela), Lucía Loureiro-Porto (Balearic Islands), Ricardo Mairal (Madrid, UNED), Andrej Malchukov (EVA, Leipzig), Francesca Masini (Bologna), Belén Méndez-Naya (Santiago de Compostela), Amaya Mendikoetxea (Madrid), Helle Metslang (Tartu), Amina Mettouchi (Paris), Katarzyna Miechowicz-Mathiasen (Poznan), Gabriele Missikova (Nitra), Henrik Høeg Müller (Copenhagen), Nicola Munaro (Venice), Pieter Muysken (Nijmegen), Heiko Narrog (Tohoku), Nicole Nau (Poznan), Jan Nuyts (Antwerp), Miren Lourdes Onederra (Vitoria-Gasteiz), Brigitte Pakendorf (Lyon), Carita Paradis (Lund), Paola Pietrandrea (Roma III), José Pinto de Lima (Lisbon), Vladimir Plungjan (Moscow), Cecilia Poletto (Frankfurt), Lola Pons Rodríguez (Sevilla), Anne Reboul (Paris), Eric Reuland (Utrecht), Nicoletta Romeo (New South Wales), Anna Roussou (Patras), Francisco Ruiz de Mendoza (Logroño), Cinzia Russi (Austin), Fernando Sánchez Miret (Salamanca), Andrea Sansò (Insubria), Stephan Schmid (Zürich), Frank Seifart (Eva-Leipzig), Elena Seoane-Posse (Vigo), Carmen Silva-Corvalán (LA), Petra Sleeman (Amsterdam), John Charles Smith (Oxford), Augusto Soares da Silva (Braga), Mario Squartini (Torino), Dejan Stosic (Artois), Cristina Suárez-Gómez (Balearic Islands), Jarmila Tarnyikova (Olomouc), Catherine Travis (Canberra), Dorien Van De Mieroop (Leuven), Johan van der Auwera (Antwerp), Elly Van Gelderen (Arizona), Henk van Riemsdijk (Tilburg), Guido Vanden Wyngaerd (Brussels), Salvador Varela (Granada), Arie Verhagen (Leiden), Anna Verschik (Tallinn), Jean-Christophe Verstraete (Leuven), Letizia Vezzosi (Perugia), Nigel Vincent (Manchester), Jacqueline Visconti (Genova), Ferdinand von Mengden (Berlin), Søren Wichmann (EVA – Leipzig), Dominique Willems (Ghent), Alena Witzlack-Makarevich (Zurich), Ruth Wodak (Lancaster), Fernando Zúñiga (Zurich).
Guidelines for submission: workshop proposals and papers, posters and general session papers
PROCEDURE. The deadline for the submission of workshop proposals is 15 November 2012. The address for submission is email@example.com. Notification of acceptance/rejection will be given by 15 December 2012. After a workshop proposal has been accepted, the convenors will be requested to invite their participants to submit their full abstracts by 15 January 2013. These full abstracts will be evaluated individually by the Scientific Committee and the convenors.
The deadline for all abstracts (for the general session, the poster session and the workshops) is 15 January 2013. Notification of acceptance will be given by 31 March 2013.
Abstracts should not exceed 500 words (exclusive of references) and should clearly state research questions, approach, method, data and (expected) results.
Abstracts should be registered and submitted via the Submit Abstract form where you can upload an attachment. Abstracts should not mention the presenter(s) nor their affiliations or addresses. Only references mentioned in the text can be listed. Abstracts should have the same title as the entry submitted via the Submit abstract form. Check the final abstract carefully before submission. Abstracts will not be edited for typing, spelling, or grammatical errors after submission.
Layout requirements for abstracts
- Abstracts must be single-spaced and fully justified. The standard font will be Calibri, size 10. The margins will be 2,54 top/bottom and 1,91 left/right (Moderate in MS Word).
- References will have a hanging indent of 1,27 cm.
- Submit the abstract as a Word document. If it contains special characters, please send a PDF version to firstname.lastname@example.org
ORGANIZING A WORKSHOP. Whereas general session papers can deal with any topic in linguistics, workshop papers take into account the topic of the workshop proposal, and are usually pre-selected by the workshop convenors.
Workshop proposals should contain:
- A 1000 word description of the topic (including the research questions to be addressed) and
- a (provisional) list of workshop participants and 300 word abstracts of their papers.
We encourage workshop convenors to distribute an open call for papers on the LinguistList (announce your cfp as a session of SLE 2012) and other fora in October and November 2012.
Since we want conference participants to be able to attend individual workshop presentations, SLE workshops have to be compatible with the main conference schedule. This means that the format of the workshops must be organized around 30 minute presentations (20 min. + 10 min. discussion). Workshops ideally contain 10 or 15 slots (corresponding to 1 or 1.5 days); each workshop ideally comprises:
- An introductory paper by the convenor(s) or by a key-note speaker, which summarizes previous research, specifies the approach(es) to be taken and sets the scope of the papers to be presented.
- Eight papers (1 day) or thirteen papers (1.5 day).
- A slot for final discussion on the topics covered by the papers, methodological issues and questions for future research.
Further details can be discussed with the SLE Conference Manager.
POSTERS. The next SLE meeting will hold a poster session of an hour for both senior and junior researchers. In order to foster interaction, all other sessions will be suspended during the poster session. Posters may remain available during the rest of the conference. The maximum size of the poster is 1.10 m (vertical) x 1 m (horizontal). For more information about how to make a good poster, click here.
MULTIPLE PAPERS. One person may submit a single-authored abstract, a single-authored abstract and a co-authored one (not as first author) or two co-authored abstracts (only one as first author). Note that keynote papers within workshops count as ordinary papers. Presentations will be 20 minutes plus 10 minutes question time.
EVALUATION. Workshop proposals contain the names of convenors and participants and will be evaluated and ranked by the 5 officers of the SLE Scientific Committee. All abstracts will be reviewed anonymously by three referees. Abstracts submitted to the general session and to the poster session will be evaluated by three members of the Scientific Committee. Workshop papers receive two evaluations by SC members and one by the workshop convenors. The threshold for acceptance is the same for general session, poster and workshop abstracts. The acceptance of a paper depends on the quality of the abstract. The acceptance rate of the previous conference was 70 %.
Prize for the best presentation and the best poster
There will be a prize for the best oral presentation by a PhD student, a prize for the best oral presentation by a postdoc and a prize for the best poster.
For current purposes, PhD-students are students that have not completed their PhD before the conference. Postdocs have completed their PhD not earlier than January 2010. A nominated paper may be co-authored; in such a case the nominee will be the first author.
Applicants are invited to mark the button referring to the prize when they register their abstract. On the basis of the ranking of the abstracts, the Scientific Committee will set up an internal shortlist with nominees for the prizes.
Members of the Editorial Board of Folia Linguistica (Historica) and the Scientific Committee will decide who will be awarded the first prize in each category, which consists of 500 Euros, and the 2nd and 3rd prize, which is a three-year SLE membership.
Registration will start from 1 April 2013 onwards. SLE meetings are member only conferences. That is, all participants with a paper in the program will have to be members. The early bird conference fee for members will be 170 Euros.
Become a member of the Societas Linguistica Europaea and get a discount.
There will be a reception in the city centre (included in the registration fee), a city walk and a conference dinner. On Saturday afternoon there will be a post-conference excursion. Further information will be given in the second circular.
How to get to Split
Whether by plane, boat, bus, train or car, it's getting ever easier to travel to Split. With new trains, new air routes, a new motorway to Zagreb plus dozens of ferries and buses, Split is becoming one of Croatia's prime points of entry. There are not a lot of direct flights to Split (most go to Zagreb) that run all year, but from April to October there are quite a few low-cost carriers that fly directly to Split from a number of cities in the UK, France and Germany as well as an assortment of other European countries. Other airports: Zadar (160 km, regular bus service to Split) and Zagreb (400 km, regular train, bus and plane service to Split).
|15 November 2012:||deadline for submission of workshop proposals|
|15 January 2013:||deadline for submission of all abstracts|
|31 March 2013:||notification of acceptance|
|1 April 2013:||early registration starts|
|1 June 2013:||registration (full fee)|
|30 June 2013:||registration closed for participants with a paper|
|20 August 2013:||registration closed|
SLE 2013 Local organizing committee
Secretary: Jelena Mrkonjić
Tel: +385 91 222 6083
SLE conference manager